Did you know that 85% of the time consumers are on their smartphone they are using apps? For 2017 the only travel tech you need is right in the palm of your hand. Equip yourself with the best travel apps available from Apple or Google then you can navigate like a local and dine like a VIP.
1. Skyscanner: This all-encompassing travel app searches for the best deals on hotels, flights and rental cars. With the handy price calendar, users can easily find out when the cheapest time to travel is. It also alerts users to price changes.
2. Kayak: Another search app for finding the best rates for hotels, airfare and car rental but it offers one extra perk - exclusive deals. The feature of price alerts through Price Forecast informs you of the possibility of a drop in price in the future. It also has trip planning capability keeping all of your details conveniently in one place, like confirmation and airport gate numbers. And if you don't want to bother slipping your phone in and out of your pocket or purse, you can simply flick your wrist and access data from your Apple Watch.
3. Hopper: This app is devoted solely to finding users the cheapest airfare. It analyzes billions of flights and promises savings of up to 40%. For simplicity and speed, it can't be beat. On average, a flight can be booked in less than 60 seconds. It has been an award-winning app with Apple and Android users for the past two years.
4. Airbnb: For a more authentic stay experience with greater value, many travelers are opting out of hotels and tapping this app. It's been around for a while but renewed interest is emerging because of a new feature. Trips becomes your local guide, allowing users to curate events from the Experiences feature. Now, excursions as well as accommodations can be managed with the Airbnb app. And stay tuned for future capabilities like booking car rentals and a day planner.
5. Hotel Tonight: For those who have experienced a mix-up with a hotel reservation or an unexpected flight delay, you know being left out in the cold in a strange place is a disaster for a vacay. This app finds last minute deals so you don't have to pay outrageous rates by walking in and getting a room without a discounted reservation. The app partners with hotels that have empty rooms at a discount that can be booked in as little as 10 seconds.
6. Uber: Chances are you already have this app on your device. And while it is funny we advertise a driving app while being in this industry, we are realists! It's not every day you will want to drive that lovely Peugeot if say you had a few heavy handed glasses of wine. Uber drivers are active in more than 500 cities and about 77 countries. On-demand service, fare quotes before you book, GPS tracking of a driver's arrival and no cash exchange. It doesn't get any better than that when you are in an unfamiliar area.
7. Google Maps: This app is still heralded as the best for navigation. Others have attempted to compete but are merely imitations of the king. It reigns supreme because it is reliable and filled with features. User experience is enhanced with things like offering transportation options, listing open/close hours of establishments and even real-time updates of how busy a venue is, like a restaurant or museum. One particulalry interesting feature for travelers on the go with their own transportation is the multi-route options showing potential tolls you might encounter.
8. Citymapper: If you require public transportation during your travels, you need this app. Cities from all over the world are making this a fabulous tool for guests. It connects with transportation options like buses, subways and trains and participating local ride-share services. It informs users which service offers the quickest arrival time to a destination. By subscribing to the specific train or bus lines of interest, users receive alerts when their destination is near so should prepare to disembark. Handy if you are one of those people who often nod off and nap while riding! Especially if you are in a strange place!
With this great tech at your fingertips planning a trip and making the most of it is easy. You only need one tool, a smartphone. If you have any questions when traveling to Europe, just contact us. Helping travelers navigate Europe on their own time, independently with their own wheels, is the specialty of Auto France.
- Academic Travel Tips (13)
- Auto France News & Updates (12)
- European Travel Tips, Tricks, & Advice (76)
- Lion's Den: Peugeot News & Updates (10)
- One way car rental Europe (1)
- Travel Ideas & Itineraries (47)
Subscribe To Blog
Enter your information below to start receiving the latest news and helpful travel tips from AutoFrance and the world of Peugeot.