WHAT IS TEMPORARY TRANSIT?
Temporary Transit or French "T" registration is a special vehicle registration allowing temporary driving of brand new vehicles for tourism purposes. This type of registration is exclusively offered to non-european union residents who are traveling in mainland Europe and facilitated exclusively with French based vehicle manufacturers such as Peugeot. Tourists may "rent" (lease) these vehicles up to 6 months within a 12 month consecutive time period, in some cases up to 355 days for students or other special employment based circumstances.
In the eyes of the French law and according to each contract, the tourist is temporarily "purchasing" the vehicle for a set price which is a portion of the vehicles total sale value based on the length of the contract. Temporary Transit contracts are tax free as those entering into the agreements are not subject to a vehicle purchase tax being non-european union residents. The contract holder (tourist) is agreeing to return the vehicle at the end of a certain prearranged date on the contract which the manufacturer guarantees to accept the vehicle back at various drop-off locations throughout Europe. The contract holder (tourist) has the right to purchase the vehicle at the end of the contract at a reduced rate based on depreciation and a lower tax threshold, however the vehicle must remain within mainland Europe if they should choose to do so.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM PEUGEOT CAR-2-EUROPE CONTRACT?
- You at least 18 years old and hold a valid driving license
- Your main residence is outside the European Union or in the French overseas territories
- You have spent less than 175 days in the European Union over the past 12 months
- You do not engage in any remunerated activity in a European Union member country
Any person satisfying Temporary Transit requirements can benefit from Car-2-Europe leasing and travel to Europe on a new vehicle for a maximum of 6 months.
To be eligible for long term car rental, you must be:
- A TOURIST a RESIDENT of a European Union member state waiting for relocation to a state outside the European Union
- An INTERN completing an internship or assignment and whose usual place of residence is outside European Union or in France’s overseas departments/territories
- Any person whose usual place of residence is outside European Union or in France’s overseas departments/territories and who is completing his/her national service in France
WHAT IS REQUESTED WHEN ORDERING?
Ordering: Once the vehicle is confirmed (usually 1-2 business days from receipt of reservation), we require a $500 deposit; the balance is due 45 days prior to delivery date.
Accepted methods of payment are: Check, Visa, Mastercard, Discover or American Express.
After confirmation and deposit, you will be asked to sign an order form containing all the information necessary for your reservation (type of vehicle, any accessories, dates and places of delivery and return, flight details for airport deliveries, etc.) and to supply the following documents to confirm your booking:
- A copy of the information page of your passport* (or identity card for French overseas departments/territories)
- A copy of your valid U.S. driver's license
*those holding an EU Passport is required to forward a copy of your US Resident Card or Consulate Card, as well as a completed and signed Declaration form stating the dates you will spend in Europe dates
WHATS INCLUDED IN EVERY LEASE (TT)?
For your next travel in Europe, there is a better choice than renting: a brand new PEUGEOT with a Tax-Free lease!
You travel as you like throughout Europe in a new car which belongs to you and with the following advantages of the temporary transit offer:
- A new Peugeot of your choice, tax-free with full comprehensive insurance and no deductible
- Unlimited mileage
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance
- Vehicle pick-up and drop-off in more than 31 centers in 9 countries of Europe.
A multi-risk insurance policy irrespective of percentage covering:
- Driver civil liability
- Vehicle fire damage
- Theft (requires police report)
- Glass damage
- All accident-related damages to the vehicle, including acts of vandalism(requires police report)
- Legal fees
- Driver warranty
- Towing of the vehicle
24/7 Roadside Assistance for:
- Breakdowns and accidents
- Vehicle theft, attempted theft or vandalism
- Finding emergency solutions to enable you to continue your trip
A broadbased European presence:
- 27 pick-up and drop-off centers, including 14 in France and 13 throughout Europe.
WHO CAN DRIVE THE VEHICLE?
To drive in Europe, you must be at least 18 years old and have a full driving license that is valid in the countries you will be visiting.
The following people are entitled to drive the vehicle:
- the contract holder (his/her name is entered on the registration certificate)
- the spouse (in the broadest sense, including cohabiting partners or civil partners subject to presentation of evidence of this union)
- and the direct descendants and heirs of the contract holder subject to the same temporary transit conditions as the contract holder
No other person may use the vehicle, for whatever reason. The vehicle may not be used for the performance of income earning activities or for professional purposes.
An international driving license must be held by persons who live outside the European Union.
The international driving license must be accompanied by the national driving license at all times.
A name can’t be added to or changed on the temporary vehicle registration certificate or the international vehicle insurance card once it has been issued.
WHAT IS THE INSURANCE COVERAGE?
Your vehicle is covered by a multi-risk, non-deductible within the limits of the authorized countries and exclusions on the contract. The policy can be found in full here:
WHERE CAN I DRIVE?
Which countries are covered by insurance and assistance car-2-europe?
Germany, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Spain (Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands), Estonia, Finland, mainland France and Monaco, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, San Marino and Vatican , Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia (FYROM), Malta, Montenegro, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Gibraltar, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Czech Republic.
Beyond these countries, the client will assume full liability, material and criminal incidents that may occur.
WHAT AREA IS COVERED BY THE GPS?
ALBANIA, ANDORRA, AUSTRIA, BELARUS, BELGIUM, BOSNIA-HERZOGOVINA, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, CZECH REPUBLIC, DENMARK, ESTONIA, FINLAND, FRANCE, GERMANY, GIBRALTAR, GREECE, HUNGARY, ICELAND, IRELAND, ITALY, KOSOVO, LATVIA, LIECHTENSTEIN, LITHUANIA, LUXEMBOURG, MALTA, MOLDIVES, MONACO, MONTENEGRO, THE NETHERLANDS, NORWAY, POLAND, PORTUGAL, MACEDONIA, ROMANIA, RUSSIA, SAINT MARIN, SERBIA, SLOVANIA, SPAIN, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, TURKEY, UKRAINE, UNITED KINGDOM AND VATICAN CITY.
Cancellation Policy for Peugeot Car-2-Europe
• Cancel MORE than 21 days prior to pick up date: $75.00 non refundable fee.
• Cancel LESS than 21 days prior to pick up date: FEE OF $400 or $950 (see explanation*)
• Cancellation at time of delivery: $950
* If canceling less than 21 days prior to pick up date, the cancelation fee can be as high as $950. This fee is determined by Peugeot Sodexa and is due to a change in the French law regarding registration of TT registered vehicles. Therefore, if the vehicle has been registered, the full penalty of $950 will apply. (Some major credit cards cover cancellation fees. Please check with your credit card company)
WHAT DO I DO IN AN EMERGENCY?
We advise you to check your Practical Guide Assistance.
Step 1: fill in the necessary documents
In case of an accident: draw up an accident report with the parties involved
In case of attempted theft or act of vandalism: make a detailed declaration and lodge an official complaint with the police
- In case of theft: make a detailed declaration and lodge an official complaint with the police
Step 2: open an insurance file
Send a copy by email to email@example.com
Send the original by mail to
- Car-2-Europe – SERVICE ASSURANCE
45 Rue Jean Pierre Timbaud
78300 Poissy - FRANCE
Step 3: have the vehicle taken care of
In case of an accident or attempted theft or act of vandalism that requires repairs: bring the vehicle to a Peugeot authorized repair garage.
Step 4: ask for a refund if necessary
If the repairs are paid by the customer: send the original repair invoice by mail to:
Car-2-Europe – SERVICE ASSURANCE
45 Rue Jean Pierre Timbaud
78300 Poissy - FRANCE
Call car-2-europe- CUSTOMER SERVICE (09 69 360 760 from France or + 33 9 69 360 760 outside France)
WHAT ABOUT VEHICLE MAINTENANCE?
All our vehicles are delivered new. The first service is due at 20,000 kms, and must be performed by a certified center in the Peugeot network. This service is not free and it would be at the lease holder's expense. It’s also recommended to check the level of oil, water and tire pressure of the vehicle at least every 1 000 km level.
WHAT IS REQUIRED OF ME WHEN I RETURN THE VEHICLE?
RETURNING YOUR VEHICLE
You must contact the return center to make an appointment for the return of your vehicle.
When: No later than 4 working days before the end of your contract.
You will be expected no later than 30 minutes after the agreed meeting time.
Contact: the return center mentioned on your order form (contact details are on the list of centers given to you at delivery as well as on the ww.peugeot-openeurope.com website).
What items must be returned with the vehicle ?
At the end of your contract you have to give at your drop off center:
- The vehicle registration certificate or provisal registration certificate
- The 2 keys to the vehicle
- Any SD cars
- The vehicle maintenance booklet
- The insurance certificate
- The safety kit : safety vest and triangle
Important: All non-returned items will be billed to you and debited from your bank account, even in the event of theft.
Our agent will ask you to sign a double copy of the vehicle receipt (French-English) stating the vehicle’s mileage and any returned or missing items. You will keep a copy of this document.
Please return the vehicle in a proper state of cleanliness corresponding to normal use.
IMPORTANT: Any vehicle returned dirty (pet hair, sand, mud, stained upholstery, trash left in the car, etc.) will need to undergo a deep clean and you will be charged €80
CAN I BUY THE CAR?
You can purchase the TT vehicle*; a great deal for yourself, a friend or family member which takes into account the duration of use under the Temporary Transit agreement. However, the vehicle is built with French specifications and cannot be imported into the U.S.
Contact the Car-2-Europe purchasing service directly at least 15 days before the end of your contract. From Monday to Friday (except French bank holidays) from 9am to 5pm only.
Your direct contacts:
* Chrystel Bourgnier
Tel. in France: 01 56 47 49 84
Tel. outside of France: +33 (1) 56 47 49 84
Our sales team will inform you in detail about the conditions that can be granted.
*Note: the vehicles are built to meet French specications and cannot be imported into the U.S.
ARE STUDENTS ELIGIBLE FOR A PEUGEOT OPEN EUROPE LEASE?
Students can benefits from a PEUGEOT OPEN EUROPE vehicle contract for a period of up to one year under the following conditions:
- Your main residence must be outside the European Union or in the overseas territories (DOM-TOM)
- You must be currently studying in an institution or university located in the European Union and must not exceed a total of 355 days
- Present a valid school certificate for the period of the contract
- You must not exercise a remunerated activity in a country of the European Union
- You must be 18 years of age and have a driver’s license that is both valid and recognized in the countries that you plan to visit. (International driver’s license)
DO I NEED AN INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT?
Most European countries do not require American drivers to have an International Driving Permit (IDP).
However, the following countries do: Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Greece, Germany, Hungary, Poland, Italy, Slovenia, and Spain. Again, you might not even be asked for the IDP in these countries, but technically you're required to have one
It is NOT required by Auto France that you have this permit to obtain a lease vehicle.
DRIVING IN SWITZERLAND
Switzerland may be a small country, but driving these beautiful routes with their expansive vistas and towering mountains makes it seem larger than life itself. Before hitting the road, be sure to read up on the basic rules of the road, including obtaining a motorway vignette for your car. As mentioned earlier, Swiss driving laws are more stringent than most other European countries, primarily for safety reasons, and new laws were recently passed.
What is the Swiss motorway vignette?
A Swiss motorway vignette is required to use the national motorways. It's a sticker you need to apply on the inside of the windshield of your car. The price is CHF 40.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: AIR QUALITY CERTIFICATE
The Air Quality Certificate is a secure document issued on the basis of information which appears on the vehicle registration certificate . It certifies the vehicle's environmental class based on pollutant emissions.
IMPORTANT: The vehicle delivered to you under the Peugeot Open Europe Plan is registered and insured in your name, however, it is not delivered with the emission badge/vignette. Therefore, as the registered owner of the vehicle, the emission badge/vignette requirements are your responsibility. The following is information related to the procedure for obtaining the sticker:
- You must wait for the delivery of the car to know the registration number.
- Go to the website to order for the sticker. https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/demande
- It costs €3.70 plus postage.
- The sticker will be sent to your address, as shown on the vehicle registration. BE SURE TO KEEP A COPY OF THE PAYMENT RECEIPT with you at all times.
To learn more about this, go to: https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/foire-aux-questions
or watch this video https://youtu.be/4CPuv9ZNjU8
SNOW TIRES? WINTER DRIVING REQUIREMENTS?
All Peugeot Lease vehicles are equipped with multi-season tires. The chains we offer are snow-tire chains that are easily and quickly mounted without having to move the vehicle.
The original tires mounted on factory-issued peugeot brand vehicles are deemed multi-purpose. This means they are suited for differing driving conditions excluding extreme conditions involving the presence of large amounts of snow and/or water on pavement.
Car-2-Europe cannot mount specialty tires such as "snow" or "contact" tires on its vehicles. If you decide to equip your vehicle with special tires, you can do so at your own expense and the vehicle must be returned with the original tires.
Customers are responsible for consulting officials in each country in which they will be traveling about any and all roadway accessory requirements. Car-2-Europe may not be held liable for the provision of such accessories.