WHAT IS TEMPORARY TRANSIT?
Temporary Transit or French "T" registration is a special vehicle registration allowing temporary driving of brand new vehicles for tourism purposes. This type of registration is exclusively offered to non-european union residents who are traveling in mainland Europe and facilitated exclusively with French based vehicle manufacturers such as Peugeot. Tourists may "rent" (lease) these vehicles up to 6 months within a 12 month consecutive time period, in some cases up to 355 days for students or other special employment based circumstances.
In the eyes of the French law and according to each contract, the tourist is temporarily "purchasing" the vehicle for a set price which is a portion of the vehicles total sale value based on the length of the contract. Temporary Transit contracts are tax free as those entering into the agreements are not subject to a vehicle purchase tax being non-european union residents. The contract holder (tourist) is agreeing to return the vehicle at the end of a certain prearranged date on the contract which the manufacturer guarantees to accept the vehicle back at various drop-off locations throughout Europe. The contract holder (tourist) has the right to purchase the vehicle at the end of the contract at a reduced rate based on depreciation and a lower tax threshold, however the vehicle must remain within mainland Europe if they should choose to do so.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM PEUGEOT OPEN EUROPE CONTRACT?
· Your main residence is outside the European Union or in the French overseas departments and territories
· You will be staying less than 175 days over a period of twelve consecutive months in a European Union member country
· You are not engaged in any remunerated activity in a European Union member country
Whatever your nationality, you can benefit from our duty-free Peugeot Open Europe offer!
Don't forget, you must be 18 years or over and have a permanent driver’s license that is both valid and recognized in the countries to which you plan to travel (international driver’s license).
ARE STUDENTS ELIGIBLE FOR A PEUGEOT OPEN EUROPE LEASE?
Students can benefits from a PEUGEOT OPEN EUROPE vehicle contract for a period of up to one year under the following conditions:
- Your main residence must be outside the European Union or in the overseas territories (DOM-TOM)
- You must be currently studying in an institution or university located in the European Union and must not exceed a total of 355 days
- Present a valid school certificate for the period of the contract
- You must not exercise a remunerated activity in a country of the European Union
- You must be 18 years of age and have a driver’s license that is both valid and recognized in the countries that you plan to visit. (International driver’s license)
WHATS INCLUDED IN EVERY LEASE (TT)?
For your next travel in Europe, there is a better choice than renting: a brand new PEUGEOT with a Tax-Free lease!
You travel as you like throughout Europe in a new car which belongs to you and with the following advantages of the temporary transit offer:
- A new Peugeot of your choice, tax-free with full comprehensive insurance and no deductible
- Unlimited mileage
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance
- Vehicle pick-up and drop-off in more than 31 centers in 9 countries of Europe.
A multi-risk insurance policy irrespective of percentage covering:
- Driver civil liability
- Vehicle fire damage
- Theft (requires police report)
- Glass damage
- All accident-related damages to the vehicle, including acts of vandalism(requires police report)
- Legal fees
- Driver warranty
- Towing of the vehicle
24/7 Roadside Assistance for:
- Breakdowns and accidents
- Vehicle theft, attempted theft or vandalism
- Finding emergency solutions to enable you to continue your trip
A broadbased European presence:
- 31 pick-up and drop-off centers, including 17 in France and 14 throughout Europe.
WHAT IS THE INSURANCE COVERAGE?
Your vehicle is covered by a multi-risk, non-deductible policy which can be found in full here:
WHO CAN DRIVE THE VEHICLE?
Because the Peugeot model you will be driving is a tax-free car, there are certain restrictions imposed by the French Government. The contract holder, his/her spouse, children and parents may drive the car as long as they are over 18, have a valid driver's license and are not a resident of the European Union. An unrelated person may drive the car on the condition that one of the allowed drivers is in the car, and he/she is not a resident of the European Union.
DO I NEED AN INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT?
Most European countries do not require American drivers to have an International Driving Permit (IDP).
However, the following countries do: Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Greece, Germany, Hungary, Poland, Italy, Slovenia, and Spain. Again, you might not even be asked for the IDP in these countries, but technically you're required to have one
It is NOT required by Auto France that you have this permit to obtain a lease vehicle.
WHERE CAN I DRIVE?
The following countries are covered by insurance and for assistance:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus (Greek territory only), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (including Corsica), Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy (including Sicily and Sardinia), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia (FYROM), Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal (including Azores and Madeira), Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (including Balearic and Canary Islands), Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Vatican.
Warning: If you decide to travel in a country not covered by the insurance/the assistance, your civil & penal liability is engaged and you will be responsibility for any costs linked to damages or breakdown. No territorial extension is possible concerning the insurance contract.
WHAT IS REQUESTED WHEN ORDERING?
Ordering: We ask for a $500 deposit at the time of order; the balance is due 45 days prior to delivery date.
Accepted methods of payment are: Check, Visa, Mastercard, Discover or American Express.
Cancellation Policy for Peugeot Open Europe
• Cancel MORE than 21 days prior to pick up date: $75.00 non refundable fee.
• Cancel LESS than 21 days prior to pick up date: FEE OF $400 or $950 (see explanation*)
• Cancellation at time of delivery: $950
* If canceling less than 21 days prior to pick up date, the cancelation fee can be as high as $950. This fee is determined by Peugeot Sodexa and is due to a change in the French law regarding registration of TT registered vehicles. Therefore, if the vehicle has been registered, the full penalty of $950 will apply. (Some major credit cards cover cancellation fees. Please check with your credit card company)
SNOW TIRES? WINTER DRIVING REQUIREMENTS?
All Peugeot Lease vehicles are equipped with multi-season tires. Multi-season tires are not specifically designed for muddy or snowy conditions (these tires bear an M & S) or for snowy conditions in particular (tires that bear an international symbol of a snowflake). A number of EU countries have made the use of winter tires a legal requirement and many offer specific winter recommendations. Switzerland, Germany, Norway and Sweden, for example, have laws which dictate the use of winter tires. If travelling to areas with high volume of snow, where snow machines have not cleared that particular area, snow chains or socks should be purchased. Be sure to check out any local rules which apply at the time of travelling.
Driving in Germany (and other certain locations with snow or ice conditions) between November 1 and April 15 will only be allowed with M&S tires. Purchasing special tires is the responsibility of the lease holder. However, some Peugeot models will now come with M&S tires at German locations depending on availability. Vehicle models with online descriptions designating "WINTER EDITION" or "GRIP CONTROL" will have the required "M&S" tires as well as special "Grip Control" technology designed to enhance the mobility of vehicles in specific driving conditions such as mud, sand and snow.
DOES AUTO FRANCE PROVIDE THE LEGALLY REQUIRED ACCESSORIES FOR MY PEUGEOT LEASE VEHICLE?
In short, Yes. The authorities in France require that all vehicles being driven in France are equipped with the following, which will be supplied in the lease vehicle:
-Portable Brethalyzer (This will be mandatory as of March 1, 2013)
Note: Please see Snow Tire / Snow Chain Policy for driving in winter months (also in the FAQ) as Auto France does not provide these unless ordered at time of placing online order and only if available. Additonal snow accessories come with a fee which varies by vehicle model.
WHAT IS REQUIRED OF ME WHEN I RETURN THE VEHICLE?
RETURNING YOUR VEHICLE
You must contact the return center to make an appointment for the return of your vehicle.
When: No later than 4 working days before the end of your contract.
You will be expected no later than 30 minutes after the agreed meeting time.
Contact: the return center mentioned on your order form (contact details are on the list of centers given to you at delivery as well as on the ww.peugeot-openeurope.com website).
- The vehicle registration certificate or provisional registration certificate
- the two keys for the vehicle.
2017 rates for missing items:
- Registration certificate: €200
- Key: €200
Please return the vehicle in a proper state of cleanliness corresponding to normal use.
IMPORTANT: Any vehicle returned dirty (pet hair, sand, mud, stained upholstery, trash left in the car, etc.) will need to undergo a deep clean charged at €80